Albert Niels, 27 year veteran Realtor and exclusive HLRN member, gave us his overview of the Aventura/Sunny Isles Real Estate market and what is has to offer to prospective buyers.
What local amenities does this area have to offer (parks, community center, recreation programs)?
- 1 mile to the ocean, 12 miles to Fort Lauderdale, 12 miles to Miami
- 3 best malls in Florida, AVENTURA MALL, BAL HARBOR SHOPPES AND GULFSTREAM PARK
- All possible international dining experiences, Asia, France, Italia, Russia, Spain
- 3 five stars hotels, Acqualina Resort & Spas, Trump International, Turnberry isle
- 2 International airports, Fort Lauderdale (10 miles) and Miami Int’l (15 miles)
- Aventura Arts and Cultural Center
- Sunny Isles Beach Jazz Festival, October
Can you describe the local school system, and what type of education children get here (private, public, charter - focus on sports, the arts, etc.)?
- There are 3 K-12 schools in Aventura/Sunny Isles, including 1 public school and 2 private schools. Aventura public schools belong to one district, Dade School District.
- There are 2 Aventura elementary schools, 1 Aventura middle school and 8 Aventura preschool schools.
- Dr. Michael Krop High School in unincorporated Miami-Dade County is currently the sole high school serving Aventura residents.
What is the community culture like (i.e. private, gated, urban, diverse, etc)?
- Aventura and Sunny Isles are quite different from Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Demographically speaking these cities host mainly International residents, mainly from Latin and South American but also there is an important Eastern European Community, mainly Russians. These people are usually young families in their late thirties and forties, with important assets.
- Most Real Estate is composed of luxury condominiums on Golf courses and waterfront ( Intracoastal and ocean).
- There are also important single family homes usually priced over the million dollar range. These homes are located usually east of the Intracoastal in Sunny Isles and Golden Beach.
What is transportation like to the area's major surrounding cities, or within the city?
Traffic can be heavy between Hallandale Beach Boulevard to the North and Miami Gardens Drive to the South, usually in the early afternoon. But Miami is only 12 miles to the South, Fort Lauderdale 12 miles to the North and the Beach is at your feet in Sunny Isles and 1 mile from Aventura
Is there a strong political presence or community leader involvement in this area?
The following dignitaries, business, community and political leaders appearing at City Commission and Aventura Marketing Council meetings as well as other civic events within city limits have helped shine a spotlight on Sunny Isles Beach and Aventura, heralded for creating one the country’s greatest municipal success stories and gaining international notoriety as “Florida’s Riviera.”
Arthur H. Hertz, Chair of Wometco Enterprises:
“…This city is beautiful and fiscally sound…this can be attributed to strong leadership…”
Dr. Jayne Greenberg, Anchors Away Foundation:
“…It’s been great watching the Anchors Away program expand…It has now been adopted in New South Wales, Singapore and will soon be launched in China. Our waters sports manual is also being used as a model in London for the 2012 Olympics…”
Martin Karp, Miami-Dade School Board Member:
“…All other municipalities will be looking to see how this works out and…the generosity, support and confidence Sunny Isles Beach has in our public school system…”
Alberto M. Carvalho, Superintendent Miami-Dade County Public Schools:
“…We cannot forget our core function - teaching kids there is nobility in every profession if you do it with your heart and your mind…”
David Lawrence Jr., Chair of The Children’s Trust and President of the Early Childhood Initiative Foundation:
“…From Pensacola to Key West, we’ve launched The Children’s Movement in Florida…”
Former Miami-Dade School Superintendent Merrett Stierheim:
“…I look upon myself as a ‘change agent.’ and intend to do everything I can to improve the education of children…”
Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez:
“…Stay informed and exercise your right to vote...This is not about ‘personalities’ - this is about an issue...Major cities around the world have a strong mayor. I believe it will cut through the bureaucracy and make Miami-Dade more efficient…”
As well, Sunny Isles Beach was recently in the international spotlight when former President Bill Clinton along with Haitian Prime Minister Michele Pierre-Louis plus hundreds of Haitian and Haitian-American professionals met at the Trump International Beach Resort for the opening of the Haitian Diaspora Unity Congress
Dr. Eneida Roldan, CEO, Jackson Health System:
“…Truly a gem and asset in this community, Jackson has been around for over 90 years…”
Charles P. Garcia, author of ‘Leadership Lessons of the White House Fellows:
“….Leaders have a ‘laser light’ focus on people…”
Sen. Gwen Margolis at dedication of Sen. Gwen Margolis Park:
“….Just looking at this wonderful park is a breathtaking experience….”
Miami-Dade Commissioner Sally Heyman:
“….I have a love for this community …I’m ‘home town….”
Former Miami-Dade Mayor Alex Penelas:
“….this is a place that always comes together and I think exemplifies the word ‘progress…..”
Former US Attorney General Janet Reno:
“…For over 25 years, I tried to serve the people of the state of Florida or this nation in one way or another…”
Eric Poms,Orange Bowl Committee CEO:
“…Every year, the Orange Bowl attracts over 150,000 visitors, injecting over $100 million into the area’s economy...”
Developer Donald Trump:
“….I’m entering into a co-development agreement with the Dezers because I believe this is an amazing tract of beachfront property with phenomenal potential. It is the equivalent of owning everything on Fifth Avenue from 52nd to 57th Street….”
Robert Goodman, Art Basel Florida:
“….People come here to enjoy the world's finest art and the great parties and end up falling in love with and investing in the area.."
Freedom of Speech:
Kevin Klose, president of National Public Radio (NPR):
“……The power of democracy rests in the speed and the depth and the freedom of transmission of ideas across this society……”
Dr. Mark Pitcavage, Anti-Defamation League’s Director of Investigative Research:
“…Our South Florida office led by Andrew Rosenkrantz is one of the best - protecting the citizens of Florida in all different ways…”
Bobby Parker, Director Miami-Dade Police:
“……The Miami-Dade Police Department employs 9,000 people, of which roughly 3,100 are sworn officers……”
Col. Raanan Gissin of Israel:
“………The people of Israel are innovative – they’re moving forward and they are undefeated……….”
Success Story Speech:
Author/historian Seth H. Bramson & Sunny Isles Beach Mayor Norman Edelcup:
“……The Sunny Isles Beach story is probably the greatest Pygmalion of any municipal story in the history of Florida – if not the United States,” Bramson said…………..”
Are there any local traditions that bring the community together? (sports events, charity events, sales, holiday celebrations)?
- Miss Aventura USA & Miss Sunny Isles Beach USA Pageant
- Hollywood Welcomes the Stars” featuring Dennis Haysbert, The Village at Gulfstream Park
- Saturday Sep. 8, World’s 100 Most Beautiful Women 2012, Sunny Isles Beach
- Livelong Benefiting Livestrong
- Casino and Horse racing at Gulfstream Park
- Aventura, Bal Harbor and Gulfstream Park Malls
What is the job market like or major industries that are at the core of this area?
- Aventura and Sunny Isles main industry is definitely tourism. Around this industry you find the need for qualify luxury hotels employees, in every aspect of this hospitality industry.
- Also because of the numerous high end stores in the Malls mentioned earlier, there is a strong demand of professionals in all aspects of the retail industry from the single boutique ownership to the national anchor tenants such as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Nordstrom. Numerous international Jewelry and watch stores also are in need of qualified gemologists and high end watches sales people.
- Aventura Hospital is highly rated and there are always needs of highly qualified jobs in the medical industry
- There are also international Trading and financial companies always looking for financial workforce
What are some thriving small local businesses that make an impact in the community?
- Many Jewelry stores, high end and outlets
- High end Italian and German car dealerships
- An array of international restaurants, from fast food to fine dining
- Many fashion, home design, furniture manufacturing and retail, clothing and personal services boutique stores.
What are the local property taxes like and what other financial responsibilities should a property owner in this area be prepared for?
- Real Estate Taxes are between 1.5% and 2.2% of the appraised value of your home, payable annually.
- Mortgage of course
- Insurance, mandatory only if you have a mortgage.
- Usual utilities bills
Please note any Key Listings you have in your area:
19565 NE 37th Avenue, Aventura, Florida
Truly unique custom built 9500+ SF mansion. This home is one of a kind. Located in Turnberry's private gated, secure enclave, built on 4 lots with 160 ft of ICW waterfront. Recently renovated, white marble, onyx, no expense spared. Full credit towards kitchen remodeling. Walk to Beth Yaacov Safra Congregation. Other places of worship close by. Minutes to Aventura Mall, Gulfstream Park, Casino & Racetrack. Fantastic Turnberry Club with Megayacht marina, state of the art tennis club. Offers encouraged.
19355 Turnberry Way, Tower Suite J&K, Aventura, Florida
Unique is the understatement. One owner since new, 4/5.5, 4300sf (ap. 390m2) under air + 1600sf (ap. 145m2)private rooftop with sauna, full bathroom, bar and full kitchen, Jacuzzi, shower, solarium and a 360 degrees view of Aventura and surroundings. Resort lifestyle, megayacht marina, golf, tennis, gym, pool, restaurant, clubhouse and private beachclub. Can be delivered new to buyer's taste within 4 months guaranteed for $2.2 million or AS IS for 1.8M. Buy the Corp, avoid RE tax hike. Call for details