If you could pick 3 (belated) New Year’s design resolutions to make for 2014, what would they be? Why?
The most important New Year’s resolution I have this year is helping my clients to live safer, easier lives. Whether you have a senior citizen living in your home or a family member who might have some physical challenges, there are always small improvements you can make to build a safer home for every single member of the family
· Make sure you’re prepared. The New Year is a great time to check that you have fire alarms installed outside of every bedroom and that all the batteries inside are working.
· Identify and install lighting into potentially dangerous areas of the home such as stairways or outdoor walkways. If there is already lighting in place, check the bulbs to make sure they are providing the necessary level of light.
· Prevent accidents before they happen by removing potential trip hazards such as electrical or phone cords or rugs. If you have loose carpet secure it to the floor. And make the shower safer for everyone by slipping in non-slip strips to the bathtub or shower.
Name your favorite furniture and décor brands to work with. What makes them so special?
I have three brands that I always turn to both for inspiration and for finding the perfect piece for a client’s home:
· Molenti & C is an Italian furniture designer that I love for their simple-yet-sophisticated look. Known for their sofas, armchairs and tables, Molteni & C’s sophisticated craftsmanship and exquisite details are the icing on top of the perfect room.
· Being based in Hawaii, I often recommend and incorporate McGuire into projects. Their design sensibility is influenced by an unpretentious, casual California vibe, which fits right in with Hawaii’s laid-back lifestyle. The best part is that their beautiful lines and natural materials can withstand Hawaii’s humid weather and salty wind.
· For outdoor furniture, I always turn to Gandia Blasco. The Valencia-based company is known for their hand-woven, innovative textiles and contemporary and durable fixtures, which work with any outdoor setting from the garden and patio to the pool or beach.