Whether you’re planning something fresh for the new year or you’re just plain tired of the current look of your home, redesigns can be quite daunting. So if you’re planning on working with an interior designer or you’re going to go it alone, here are some of the most enduring pieces of design advice for every space in your home courtesy House Beautiful.
- If you want to make a room look bigger, consider opting for dark walls. This may seem counterintuitive, but dark walls make a cozy room feel bigger. If the space in question is a bedroom,make sure to steer clear of small furniture. Though you may think it creates the illusion of a bigger room, a high bed and a tall headboard will serve the purpose much better.
- When accessorizing your sofa, use pairs of pillows with contrasting patterns, colors, and textures.
- Try a rug in lieu of the staid old bath mat in the bathroom – it lasts much longer in comparison and looks great.
- Break the rules of conformity and mix up the seating options at your dining table. The era of having eight identical chairs is gone, so add pieces you love instead.
- Bring the outdoors in! There are countless psychological benefits, not to mention space beautifying benefits, to the incorporation of greenery in the home.
- Your closet is a personal space that houses your clothing, accessories and jewels. So make it a beautiful space as well by decorating it, painting it and hanging pictures.
Source and image courtesy of House Beautiful.